2018苹果CEO库克在杜克的毕业演讲

2018杜克大学毕业典礼 -- 教职工们正在进场

2018年3月13日,非常有幸在杜克大学(Duke University)参加毕业典礼(Commencement)。杜克大学的全美综合排名几乎都在前十位里面,也算是牛校了,但不知道为什么在国内的好多朋友都没有听说过。

苹果CEO库克(Tim Cook)是30年前从Duke毕业的MBA学院毕业的,今年被邀请回到母校做毕业典礼演讲。我觉得在现场比看视频的氛围好很多,他的演讲很有感染力,主题是“Be fearless”。没能去到现在的朋友也不用担心,点击这个链接就可以去哔哩哔哩上观看:https://www.bilibili.com/video/av23532230/

库克正在演讲中

以下是我全手动打的字幕以及翻译稿:

Hello Blue devils, it is great to be back at Duke.
哈喽,蓝魔们(杜克大学吉祥物),很高兴回到杜克

It is an honor to stand before you both as your commencement speaker and a graduate.
作为你们毕业典礼的演讲者和一位曾经的毕业生,站在你们面前我感到很荣幸

I earned my degree from the Fuqua School in 1988.
1988年我得到了富卡学院颁发的学位

In preparing for this speech, I reached out to one of my favorite professors from back then.
在准备这次演讲的时候,我联系了我那时候最喜欢的教授之一

Bob Reinheimer taught this great course in management communications,
鲍勃雷因海默的管理沟通课教得很好

which including sharpening your public speaking skills.
其中包含提高公共演讲技巧的部分

We hadn’t spoken for decades.
我们很久没有谈过话了

I was thrilled when he told me he remembered a particularly gifted public speaker who took his class in the 1980’s, with a bright mind and a charming personality.
我非常激动当他告诉我说他记得一个带有聪颖的头脑和有魅力的人格、特别有天赋的公共演讲者,在80年代上过他的课

He said he knew way back then this person was destined for greatness.
他说他从那时候就知道这个人注定了要做一番大事业

You can imagine how this made me feel.
你可以想象这个让我是什么感受

Professor Reinheimer had an eye for talent.
雷因海默教授慧眼识伯乐

If I do say so myself, I think his instincts were right.
如果我自己一定要这么说的话,我觉得他的直觉是对的

Melinda Gates has really made her mark in the world.
梅琳达盖茨(比尔盖茨的妻子)真的在这个世界上大有成就

I’m grateful to Bob and Dean Boden, and all of my Duke professors.
我很感激鲍勃和鲍尔丁院长,以及那是所有的杜克教授们

Their teachings have stayed with me throughout my career.
他们的教育一直陪伴我整个职业生涯

I want to thank President Price and the Duke faculty, and my fellow members from the Board of Trustees,
我想感谢普莱斯校长和杜克的教职员工,以及学校董事会的其他成员们

for the honor of speaking with you today.
为给我今天在这里演讲的机会感到十分荣幸

I would like to add my congratulations to this year’s honorary degree recipients.
我想送祝贺给今年的荣誉博士接受者

But most of all, congratulations to the Class of 2018!
但是最重要的是,祝贺2018级的所有学生

Now no graduate gets to this moment alone.
没有毕业生是靠自己一个人的力量到达这个时刻的

I want to acknowledge your parents and grandparents and friends that are here cheering you on,
我想感谢你们的的父母和祖父母还有朋友们,他们一直在给予你们鼓励

just as they have every step of the way.
就像他们一直以来支持你一样

Let’s give them our thanks.
让我们给他们给予我们的感谢

Today especially I remember my mother, who watched me graduate from Duke.
今天我特别要纪念我的母亲,她看着我从杜克毕业

I wouldn’t have been there that day or made it here today without her support.
我不可能到达那一天或者到达今天如果没有她的支持的话

Let’s give our special thanks to all of the mother’s here today on Mother’s Day
让我们在母亲节的这一天给今天在场的所有母亲特别的感谢

I have wonderful memories here,
我在这里有很多精彩的回忆

studying and not studying,
跟学习有关或者无关的

with people I still count as friends to this day.
和我现在还是朋友的那些人

Cheering at Cameron for every victory,
在卡梅隆(杜克大学的一个室内球馆名字)每次胜利后的欢呼

cheering even louder when that victory is over (North) Carolina.
当在打败北卡教堂山大学的时候,应该更大声地欢呼
(杜克和北卡教堂山篮球是竞争对手)

Look back over your shoulder fondly and say goodbye to act one of your life.
眷恋地向你地肩膀后面看,向你人生的第一步说再见

Then quickly look forward, act two begins today.
然后快速地向前看,人生的第二步从今天开始

It is your turn to reach out and take the baton.
轮到你拿着指挥棒走出去

You entered the world at a time of great challenge.
你在充满挑战的这个时候进入了社会

Our country is deeply divided, and too many Americans refuse to hear any opinion that differs from their own.
我们的国家被深深地分割了,太多的美国人拒绝去倾听跟他们不一样的意见

Our planet is warming with devastating consequences.
因破坏性行为而导致我们的地球正在变暖

And there’s some that even deny it is happening.
还有很多我们不愿意承认的事情正在发生着

Our schools and communities suffer from deep inequality.
我们的学校和社区正在招受极度的不公平待遇

We fail to guarantee every student the right to a good education.
我们不能够保证每一个学生都有接受好的教育的权利

And yet we are not powerless in the face of these problems.
我们并不是没有力量去面对这些困难

You are not powerless to fix them.
你们并不是没有力量去解决他们

No generation has ever had more power than yours.
从来没有任何一代人比你们更有力量

And no generation has a chance to change things faster than yours can.
没有任何一代人比你们有机会去更快地改变事情

The pace at which progress is possible has accelerated dramatically.
进步的步伐很可能已经显著地加速了

Aided by technology, every individual has the tools, potential, and reach to build a better world.
有了科技的帮助,甚至个人也有了工具,潜在的,建造一个更好的世界

That makes this the best time in history to be alive.
那让这个时代成为了历史上最好的值得生活的时代

Whatever you choose to do with your life, wherever your passion takes you,
无论你生活中选择做什么,无论你的热情把你带到何方

I urge you to take the power you have been given and use it for good.
我鼓励你接受你被给予的力量并将它好好利用

Aspire to leave this world better than you found it.
励志创造比你们所继承的更美好的世界

I didn’t always see life as clearly as I do today.
我不总是能像现在一样很清晰的看待生活

But I’ve learned the greatest challenge of life is knowing
但是我学到了生活最大的挑战就是认知

when to break with conventional wisdom.
何时打破传统智慧

Don’t just accept the world you inherit today.
不要只是接受你今天所继承的世界

Don’t just accept the status quo.
不要只是接受现状

No big challenge has ever been solved
没有大的挑战被解决过

and no lasting improvement has ever been achieved
没有持续的成就被达到过

unless people dare to try something different.
除非人们敢于尝试不同的事物

Dare to think different.
敢于不一样的思考

I was lucky to learn from someone who believed this deeply.
我很幸运地跟一个深信这些理念的人学到了

Someone who knew that changing the world starts with following a vision.
那个人知道改变世界开始于跟随远见

Not a path. He was my friend and mentor, Steve Jobs.
而不是一条已有的道路。他曾是我的朋友和导师,史蒂夫乔布斯

Steve’s vision was that great ideas come from a restless refusal
史蒂芬的远见就是伟大的点子来源于无休止地拒绝

to accept things as they are.
去接受事物的现状

And those principles still guild us at Apple today.
那些原则今天还在苹果公司指导着我们

We reject the notion that global warming is inevitable.
我们拒绝认同全球变暖是无法避免的这个观念

That’s why we run Apply on 100% renewable energy.
那就是苹果使用100%地可再生能源供电

Thank you.
谢谢大家!

We reject the excuse that getting the most out of technology means trading away your right to privacy.
我们拒绝这个借口,认为从科技上获得最大收益,意味着用隐私交换你的权益

So we choose a different path.
所以我们选择了一条不同的道路

Collecting as little of your data as possible,
收集你尽可能少的数据

being thoughtful and respectful when it is in our care.
周到地考虑并且尊重在我们手中的用户

Because we know it belongs to you.
因为我们知道这些数据属于你们

In every way at every turn, the question we ask ourselves is not
在每一个转折点上,我们应该问自己的不是

what can we do, but what should we do.
我们能做什么而是我们应该做什么

Because Steve taught us that’s how change happens.
因为史蒂夫告诉我们那是改变是如何发生的

And from him, I learned to never be content with the way that things are.
而且对他来说,我学到了永远不要满足事情的现状

I believe this mindset comes naturally to young people.
我相信这个心态对年轻人来说是一种天性

And you should never let go of this restlessness.
而且你应该绝不放弃这种不安定地状态

So today’s ceremony isn’t just about presenting you with a degree.
所以今天的仪式不只是关于颁发给你一个学位

It’s about presenting you with a question.
是关于给你呈现一个问题

How will you challenge the status quo?
你如何改变现状

How will you push the world forward?
你如何推动世界前行

50 years ago today, May 13th, 1968, Robert Kennedy was
50年前的今天,1968年五月13号,当时罗伯特肯尼迪(美国总统)

campaigning in Nebraska and spoke to a group of students
在内布拉斯加州做竞选活动并且向一群学生发言

who were wrestling with that same questions.
他们也在和同样的问题抗争

Those were troubled times too.
那时也是困难重重的日子

The U.S. was at war in Vietnam.
当时美国在和越南打仗

There was violent unrest in America’s cities.
美国城市中不停出现着暴力动荡

And the country was still reeling from the assassination
而且整个国家还在遭受不好的影响因为

of Dr.Martin Luther King a month earlier.
马丁路德金博士一个月前被刺杀的噩耗

Kennedy gave the students a call to action.
肯尼迪号召学生们行动起来

When you look across this country and when you see
当你四处看这个国家,当你看到

people’s lives held back by discrimination and poverty,
人们的生活质量因为歧视和贫困遭到抑制

when you see injustice and inequality,
当你看到不公正和不公平

He said you should be the last people to accept things as they are.
他说你应该成为最后一批接受事情现状的人们

Let Kennedy’s words echo here today.
让肯尼迪的话语在今天回响在这里

You should be the last people to accept it.
你们应该是最后一批接受它的人们

Whatever path you’ve chosen, be at medicine or business
无论你选择什么样的道路,在医学或者是商科

engineering or the humanities,
工程学或者是人文学科

whatever drives your passion,
无论是什么在驱动你们的热情

be the last to accept the notion that the world you inherit cannot be improved.
坚决不要接受你所继承的世界不能被改变的观念的人

Be the last to accept the excuse that says that’s just how things are done here.
坚绝不要接受事实就是如此这种借口的人

Duke graduates, you should be the last people to accept it.
杜克毕业生们,你们应该是最不该接受现状的人们

And you should be the first to change it.
而且你们应该是第一批去改变现状的人们

The world class education you perceive that you work so hard for
你们得到的和你们为之奋斗的世界一流教育

gives you opportunities that few people have.
给了你们少数人才拥有的机会

You are uniquely qualified and therefore uniquely responsible
你们独特的资历,因此也有独特的责任感

to build a better way forward.
去开创一个更好的前进道路

That won’t be easy.
那不会很容易

It will require great courage.
那将会需要很大的勇气

But that courage will not only help you live your life to the fullest,
但是那勇气不仅会帮你过完充实的人生

it will empower you to transform the lives of others.
还会赋予你力量去改变其他人的生活

Last month I was in Birmingham to mark the 50th anniversary of Dr.King’s assassination.
上个月我在伯明翰发表演讲纪念马丁路德金博士被刺杀五十周年纪念日

I had the incredible privilege of spending time with women
我得到了难以形容的特权能和那些

and men who marched and worked alongside him.
和马丁路德金一起游行一起工作过的人们

Many of them were younger at the time than you are now.
他们其中的一些人比你们现在还要年轻

They told me when they defied their parents and joined the sit-ins
他们告诉我当他们不顾父母的反对并加入静坐

and the boycotts, when they faced the police dogs and the fire hoses,
和抵制,当他们面对警犬和消防水枪时

they were risking everything they had becoming foot soldiers for justice without a second thought.
他们冒着失去一切的危险,毫不犹豫地成为了正义的步兵

Because they knew that change had to come.
因为他们知道变化一定会到来。

Because they believe so deeply in the cause of justice,
因为他们深信正义的事业,

because they knew even all of the adversity that they had faced,
因为他们甚至知道他们面临的所有困难,

they had the chance to build something better for the next generation.
他们仍然有机会为下一代构建更好的世界

We can all learn from their example.
我们都能从他们身上学到很多

If you hope to change the world, you must find your fearlessness.
如果你希望能够改变世界,你必须找到你无所畏惧的精神

Now if you are anything like I was on graduation day,
现在如果你跟我毕业的时候一样

maybe you are not feeling so fearless.
也许你们也不会感到无所畏惧

Maybe you are thinking about the job that you hope to get,
也许你在想着你希望得到的那份工作

or wondering where you are going to live or how to repay that student loan.
或者想着你要去那里或者如何还掉学生贷款

These I know are real concerns.
我知道这些是真正的担忧

I had them too.
我也曾有过那些担忧

Don’t let the worries stop you from making a difference.
不要让担忧阻挡你的作为

Fearlessness means taking the first step,
无所畏惧意味着迈出第一步

even if you don’t know where it will take you.
即使你不知道它将会带着你到何方

It means being driven by a higher purpose rather than by applause.
它意味着你是被更崇高的目的所驱动而不是掌声

It means knowing that you reveal your character
它意味着你展示了你的个性

when you stand apart more than when you stand with the crowd.
当你敢站出来的时候你的品质就显现出来了

If you step up without fear of failure,
如果你不惧怕失败的站出来

if you talk and listen to each other without fear of rejection,
如果你不怕拒绝的开始讨论和倾听

if you act with decency and kindness even when no one is looking,
如果当没人关注的时候你表现出正直和善良

even if it seems small or inconsequential,
即使是很小和起到微小作用的事情

Trust me, the rest will fall into place.
相信我,剩下的一切都会水到渠成

More importantly, you’ll be able to tackle the big things
更重要的是,你可以处理一些重大的事

when they come your way.
当重大的事情到来的时候

It is in those truly trying moments that the fearless inspire us.
在真正有重重考验的时候是无所畏惧鼓舞了我们

Fearless like the students of Parkland, Florida who refused to
无所畏惧就像帕克兰(2018佛罗里达校园枪击案发生地)

be silent about the epidemic of gun violence.
拒绝对枪支暴力的瘟疫保持沉默

They have rallied millions to their cause.
他们引来了百万人的响应

Fearless like the women who say “me too” and “time’s up”.
无所畏惧就像“我也是”和“到此为止”(反对性骚扰)运动

Women who cast light into dark places
的女性一样,带领光明照入黑暗

and move us to a more just and equal future.
带领我们走向更公正和更平等的未来

Fearless like those who fight for the rights of migrants
无所畏惧像那些为移民们争取权利的人们一样

who understand that our only hopeful future
他们理解我们唯一有希望的未来

is one that embraces all who want to contribute.
就是拥抱所有想做贡献的人们

Duke graduates, be fearless.
亲爱的毕业生们,无所畏惧吧

Be the last people to accept things as they are.
作最不愿意接受现状的人们

And the first people to stand up and change them for the better.
做第一批站起来为更好生活作出改变的人们

In 1964, Martin Luther King Jr. gave a speech at Page Auditorium to an overflow crowd.
1964年,马丁路德金博士在人潮众多的佩奇礼堂发表了演讲

Students who couldn’t get a seat, listened from outside of the lawn.
没有座位的学生们在外面的草坪上听

Dr. King warned them that someday we would all have to atone,
金博士警惕他们有一天我们都会付出代价

not only for the words and actions of the bad people,
不只因为坏人的言论和行动

but for the appalling silence and indifference of the good people
而且因为惊人的沉默和冷漠的只在旁观的所谓“好人们”

who stood around and say “wait on time”.
站在一边说等待时机,

Martin Luther King stood right here at Duke and said the time is always right to do right.
马丁路德金站在这里在杜克跟大家讲,时机总是对的当做正确的事的时候

For you graduates, that time is now.
对你们毕业生来说,那个时间就是现在

It will always be now.
永远会是现在

It is time to add your brick to the path of progress.
是时候给进步的道路贡献你们的力量了

It is time for all of us to move forward.
是时候所有人一起奋勇向前了

And it’s time for you to lead the way.
是时候该你们来领路了

Thank you, and congratulations, Class of 2018!
谢谢大家并祝贺2018界的毕业生们!

最后编辑于
©著作权归作者所有,转载或内容合作请联系作者
  • 序言:七十年代末,一起剥皮案震惊了整个滨河市,随后出现的几起案子,更是在滨河造成了极大的恐慌,老刑警刘岩,带你破解...
    沈念sama阅读 194,242评论 5 459
  • 序言:滨河连续发生了三起死亡事件,死亡现场离奇诡异,居然都是意外死亡,警方通过查阅死者的电脑和手机,发现死者居然都...
    沈念sama阅读 81,769评论 2 371
  • 文/潘晓璐 我一进店门,熙熙楼的掌柜王于贵愁眉苦脸地迎上来,“玉大人,你说我怎么就摊上这事。” “怎么了?”我有些...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 141,484评论 0 319
  • 文/不坏的土叔 我叫张陵,是天一观的道长。 经常有香客问我,道长,这世上最难降的妖魔是什么? 我笑而不...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 52,133评论 1 263
  • 正文 为了忘掉前任,我火速办了婚礼,结果婚礼上,老公的妹妹穿的比我还像新娘。我一直安慰自己,他们只是感情好,可当我...
    茶点故事阅读 61,007评论 4 355
  • 文/花漫 我一把揭开白布。 她就那样静静地躺着,像睡着了一般。 火红的嫁衣衬着肌肤如雪。 梳的纹丝不乱的头发上,一...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 46,080评论 1 272
  • 那天,我揣着相机与录音,去河边找鬼。 笑死,一个胖子当着我的面吹牛,可吹牛的内容都是我干的。 我是一名探鬼主播,决...
    沈念sama阅读 36,496评论 3 381
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我猛地睁开眼,长吁一口气:“原来是场噩梦啊……” “哼!你这毒妇竟也来了?” 一声冷哼从身侧响起,我...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 35,190评论 0 253
  • 序言:老挝万荣一对情侣失踪,失踪者是张志新(化名)和其女友刘颖,没想到半个月后,有当地人在树林里发现了一具尸体,经...
    沈念sama阅读 39,464评论 1 290
  • 正文 独居荒郊野岭守林人离奇死亡,尸身上长有42处带血的脓包…… 初始之章·张勋 以下内容为张勋视角 年9月15日...
    茶点故事阅读 34,549评论 2 309
  • 正文 我和宋清朗相恋三年,在试婚纱的时候发现自己被绿了。 大学时的朋友给我发了我未婚夫和他白月光在一起吃饭的照片。...
    茶点故事阅读 36,330评论 1 326
  • 序言:一个原本活蹦乱跳的男人离奇死亡,死状恐怖,灵堂内的尸体忽然破棺而出,到底是诈尸还是另有隐情,我是刑警宁泽,带...
    沈念sama阅读 32,205评论 3 312
  • 正文 年R本政府宣布,位于F岛的核电站,受9级特大地震影响,放射性物质发生泄漏。R本人自食恶果不足惜,却给世界环境...
    茶点故事阅读 37,567评论 3 298
  • 文/蒙蒙 一、第九天 我趴在偏房一处隐蔽的房顶上张望。 院中可真热闹,春花似锦、人声如沸。这庄子的主人今日做“春日...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 28,889评论 0 17
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我抬头看了看天上的太阳。三九已至,却和暖如春,着一层夹袄步出监牢的瞬间,已是汗流浃背。 一阵脚步声响...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 30,160评论 1 250
  • 我被黑心中介骗来泰国打工, 没想到刚下飞机就差点儿被人妖公主榨干…… 1. 我叫王不留,地道东北人。 一个月前我还...
    沈念sama阅读 41,475评论 2 341
  • 正文 我出身青楼,却偏偏与公主长得像,于是被迫代替她去往敌国和亲。 传闻我的和亲对象是个残疾皇子,可洞房花烛夜当晚...
    茶点故事阅读 40,650评论 2 335

推荐阅读更多精彩内容