【每日英语听力】20180714 TED演讲 Get comfortable with being uncomfortable#Luvvie Ajayi

I'm a professional troublemaker. (Laughter)

我是个职业的问题制造者。(笑声)

As my job is to critique the world, the shoddy systems and the people who refuse to do better,

我的工作是去批评世界、批判劣质体制,以及那些拒绝做到更好的人,

as a writer, as a speaker, as a shady Nigerian -- (Laughter)

我是个作家、演说家、 名声不好的奈及利亚人──(笑声)

I feel like my purpose is to be this cat. (Laughter)

我觉得我的人生目的是要做这只猫。(笑声) 〔至高无上斜眼看人之艺术家〕

I am the person who is looking at other people, like, "I need you to fix it."

我这种人在看其他人的方式是:「我需要你改正。」

That is me. I want us to leave this world better than we found it.

那就是我。我要我们在离开这个世界时, 它变得比我们发现它时更好。

And how I choose to effect change is by speaking up,

我选择用来影响改变的方式 是把话说出来,

by being the first and by being the domino. For a line of dominoes to fall,

当第一个人,当骨牌。要让一整排的骨牌倒下,

one has to fall first, which then leaves the other choiceless to do the same.

得要有一个骨牌先倒下,它就会让其他骨牌 没有选择只能跟着倒下。

And that domino that falls, we're hoping that, OK,

而那倒下的骨牌,我们希望,好,

the next person that sees this is inspired to be a domino. Being the domino, for me, looks like speaking up

下一个看见这状况的人 能够被鼓舞,也去成为骨牌。对我而言,身为骨牌, 就像是大声说出来,

and doing the things that are really difficult, especially when they are needed,

然後去做真的很困难的事情,特别是当必须要去做的时候,

with the hope that others will follow suit. And here's the thing: I'm the person who says

且心怀希望,希望他人会跟进。重点是:我就是那个

what you might be thinking but dared not to say. A lot of times people think that we're fearless,

把你可能只敢想不敢说的话 说出来的人。常常,人们认为我们无所惧,

the people who do this, we're fearless. We're not fearless.

认为做这些事的人是无所惧的。我们并非无所惧。

We're not unafraid of the consequences or the sacrifices that we have to make

我们并非不害怕後果 或是我们得要做的牺牲,

by speaking truth to power. What happens is, we feel like we have to,

仍然对着掌权者大声说出来。实情是,我们觉得我们必须要做,

because there are too few people in the world willing to be the domino,

因为世界上太少人 愿意做骨牌,

too few people willing to take that fall. We're not doing it without fear.

太少人愿意倒下。我们这样做时也会恐惧。

Now, let's talk about fear. I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up.

咱们来谈谈恐惧。我很清楚我长大之後要做什麽。

I was like, "I'm going to be a doctor!" Doctor Luvvie was the dream.

我会说:「我将来要当医生!」梦想是成为拉薇医生。

I was Doc McStuffins before it was a thing. (Laughter)

在《小医师大玩偶》 红起来之前我就在演它了。(笑声)

And I remember when I went to college, my freshman year, I had to take Chemistry 101

我记得,当我上大学,第一年,我得为我的主修医学院预科

for my premed major. I got the first and last D of my academic career.

修基础化学,我得到了我學術生涯中的 第一個和最後一個 D。

(Laughter) So I went to my advisor, and I was like,

(笑声)我去找指导教授,我说:

"OK, let's drop the premed, because this doctor thing is not going to work,

「好,放弃医学院预科吧,因为我不可能当医生的,

because I don't even like hospitals. So . . ."

因为我甚至不喜欢医院。所以……」

(Laughter) "Let's just consider that done for."

(笑声)「就当作已经试过了吧。」

And that same semester, I started blogging. That was 2003.

同一个学期,我开始写部落格。那是 2003 年。

So as that one dream was ending, another was beginning. And then what was a cute hobby became my full-time job

当一个梦想结束後, 另一个梦想又开始了。本来只是个可爱的嗜好, 2010 年我丢了行销工作之後,

when I lost my marketing job in 2010. But it still took me two more years to say, "I'm a writer."

这个嗜好就变成了我的全职工作,但我又花了两年, 才能说出:「我是个作家。」

Nine years after I had started writing, before I said, "I'm a writer," because I was afraid of what happens

从我开始写作一直到我说出 「我是个作家」,一共花了九年,因為我害怕沒有了 401k 退休福利計畫

without 401ks, without, "How am I going to keep up my shoe habit?

之後会发生什麽事,没有「我要如何维持买鞋的习惯啊?

That's important to me." (Laughter)

那对我很重要。」(笑声)

So it took me that long to own this thing that was what my purpose was.

我花了那麽长的时间才能承认那就是 我人生的目的。

And then I realized, fear has a very concrete power

接着,我了解到,恐惧的力量非常实在,

of keeping us from doing and saying the things that are our purpose. And I was like, "You know what?

能让我们不去做、不去说 我们人生的目的。而我说:「你知道吗?

I'm not going to let fear rule my life. I'm not going to let fear dictate what I do."

我不要让恐惧主宰我的人生。我不要让恐惧来规定我要做什麽。」

And then all of these awesome things started happening, and dominoes started to fall.

接着,很棒的事情开始接连发生,骨牌开始倒下。

So when I realized that, I was like, "OK, 2015, I turned 30,

当我发现时,我说: 「好,2015 年,我迈入三十岁,

it's going to be my year of 'Do it anyway. ' Anything that scares me, I'm going to actively pursue it."

这年就是我的 『无论如何就去做』年。任何让我害怕的事物, 我就要主动去追求它。」

So, I'm a Capricorn. I like my feel solidly on the ground.

我是摩羯座。我喜欢脚踏实地。

I decided to take my first-ever solo vacation, and it was out of the country to the Dominican Republic.

我决定要第一次一个人单独渡假,且是要出国,到多明尼加共和国。

So on my birthday, what did I do? I went ziplining through the forests of Punta Cana.

在我生日那天,我做了什麽?我去玩钢索飞行, 穿越蓬塔卡纳的森林。

And for some odd reason, I had on business casual. Don't ask why.

因为很奇怪的理由, 我穿着商务便装。别问为什麽。

(Laughter) And I had an incredible time.

(笑声)我玩得好开心。

Also, I don't like being submerged in water. I like to be, again, on solid ground.

此外,我不喜欢沉到水里。再说一次,我喜欢脚踏实地。

So I went to Mexico and swam with dolphins underwater. And then the cool thing that I did also that year

所以我去墨西哥, 和海豚在水面下游泳。那年我还做了一件很酷的事,

that was my mountain was I wrote my book,

对我很重要, 就是我写了我的书:

"I'm Judging You: The Do-Better Manual," And I had to own --

《我在评断你:如何做得更好》那我现在应该──

(Applause) that whole writing thing now, right?

(掌声)可以承认写作这整件事了吧?

Yes. But the very anti-me thing that I did that year

是的。但在那一年我做了件 非常「反我」的事,

that scared the crap out of me -- I went skydiving.

把我吓得半死的事──我去跳伞了。

We're about to fall out of the plane. I was like, "I've done some stupid things in life. This is one of them."

我们正要掉下飞机。我在说:「我一生中做过 一些蠢事,这是其中之一。」

(Laughter) And then we come falling down to Earth,

(笑声)接着我们就向下落向地球,

and I literally lose my breath as I see Earth, and I was like, "I just fell out of a perfectly good plane on purpose."

当我看到地球时, 我真的无法呼吸了,我说:「我刚刚故意掉出一架 完全没故障的飞机。」

(Laughter) "What is wrong with me? !"

(笑声)「我有什麽毛病啊?!」

But then I looked down at the beauty, and I was like, "This is the best thing I could have done.

但接着,我向下看着美景,我说:「这是我所能 做的事情当中最棒的了。

This was an amazing decision." And I think about the times when I have to speak truth.

这是个了不起的决定。」我想到我得要说实话的那些时候。

It feels like I am falling out of that plane. It feels like that moment when I'm at the edge of the plane,

感觉就像我从那架飞机上落下。感觉就像是我身在 飞机边缘上的那一刻,

and I'm like, "You shouldn't do this," but then I do it anyway, because I realize I have to.

我说:「你不该这样做。」但我还是做了, 因为我知道我得要做。

Sitting at the edge of that plane and kind of staying on that plane is comfort to me.

坐在那架飞机的边缘, 且对我来说,待在飞机上是舒适的。

And I feel like every day that I'm speaking truth against institutions and people who are bigger than me

我感觉就像是每天我都在说出真相, 来对抗比我巨大的制度和人,

and just forces that are more powerful than me, I feel like I'm falling out of that plane.

他们就是比我更强大的力量,我感觉就像我要从那架飞机上落下。

But I realize comfort is overrated. Because being quiet is comfortable.

但我了解到,舒适被高估了。因为,安静不出声很舒适。

Keeping things the way they've been is comfortable. And all comfort has done is maintain the status quo.

让事物保持过去一直以来的样子, 很舒适。舒适能做的,就是维持现状。

So we've got to get comfortable with being uncomfortable by speaking these hard truths when they're necessary.

我们得用感到不舒适的方式 来得到舒适, 要在必要的时候, 说出这些难说出口的真相。

And I -- (Applause)

而我……(掌声)

And for me, though, I realize that I have to speak these truths, because honesty is so important to me.

不过,对我来说, 我了解到我得要说出这些真相,因为诚实对我相当重要。

My integrity is something I hold dear. Justice -- I don't think justice should be an option.

我非常重视我的廉正。正义──我不认为 正义应该是个选项。

We should always have justice. Also, I believe in shea butter as a core value, and --

我们应该一直要有正义。此外,我相信乳油木果油是核心价值 (注:有保湿功能),

(Laughter) and I think the world would be better if we were more moisturized.

(笑声)我认为,如果我们能更滋润, 世界就会变得更好。

But besides that, with these as my core values, I have to speak the truth.

除此之外,因为我有这些核心价值,我得要说出真相。

I have no other choice in the matter. But people like me, the professional troublemakers,

在这件事上我没得选择。但像我这样的人,职业问题制造者,

should not be the only ones who are committed to being these dominoes who are always falling out of planes

不应该是唯一投入 去担任这些骨牌的人、 总是从飞机上落下的人,

or being the first one to take this hit. People are so afraid of these acute consequences,

或是最先成为箭靶的人。人们很害怕这些急性後果,

not realizing that there are many times when we walk in rooms and we are some of the most powerful people in those rooms --

以致於他们没发现, 很多时候,当我们走进房间, 我们是那些房间中最强大的人──

we might be the second-most powerful, third-most powerful. And I firmly believe that our job in those times

我们可能是第二强大、第三强大。而我坚信,在那些时候,我们的工作

is to disrupt what is happening. And then if we're not the most powerful,

是要阻断正在发生的事。如果我们不是最强大的人,

if two more of us band together, it makes us powerful.

如果再有两个我们的人团结起来,就能让我们变强大。

It's like cosigning the woman in the meeting, you know, the woman who can't seem to get her word out,

就像是在会议中的女性连署,你知道的,似乎无法发声的女性,

or just making sure that other person who can't make a point is being heard.

或是就只是确保无法 说出重点的另一个人 能被听见。

Our job is to make sure they have room for that. Everyone's well-being is community business.

我们的工作是确保 他们有那样的空间。每一个人的幸福都是整个社群的事。

If we made that a point, we're understand that, for the times when we need help,

如果我们强调那点, 我们就会了解,如果我们确实曾帮助过别人,

we wouldn't have to look around so hard if we made sure we were somebody else's help.

当我们需要协助的时候, 我们就不用那麽辛苦四处寻找了。

And there are times when I feel like I have taken very public tumbles and falls,

有些时候,我会觉得 我时常在众人前挑战权威, 但失败。

like the time when I was asked to speak at a conference, and they wanted me to pay my way there.

像有一次,我被邀请 到会议上演说,他们要我自费过去那里。

And then I did some research and found out the white men who spoke there got compensated

我接着做了些研究, 发现在那里演说的白人能得到补助,

and got their travel paid for. The white women who spoke there got their travel paid for.

他们不用自己付旅费。到那里演说的白种女性, 一样不用自己付旅费。

The black women who spoke there were expected to actually pay to speak there. And I was like, "What do I do?"

而去那里演说的黑人女性, 则被认为应该要自费前往。我说:「我要怎麽做?」

And I knew that if I spoke up about this publicly, I could face financial loss.

我知道如果我公开说出这件事,我可能要面对财务上的损失。

But then I also understood that my silence serves no one. So I fearfully spoke up about it publicly,

但我也了解,我的沉默 是无法帮助别人的。所以我很恐惧地公开说出了这件事,

and other women started coming out to talk about, "I, too, have faced this type of pay inequality."

其他女性也开始站出来谈论:「我也有面临到这种 付费不平等的问题。」

And it started a conversation about discriminatory pay practices that this conference was participating in.

接着开启了一个对谈,内容是在谈 这个会议所参与的歧视性支付做法。

I felt like I was the domino the time I read a disturbing memoir by a public figure

当我读到一位公众人物的自传时, 我感到很不舒服, 写了篇关於它的文章,

and wrote a piece about it. I knew this person was more powerful than me and could impact my career,

我觉得我就是骨牌。我知道这个人比我强大, 这事可能会冲击我的职涯,

but I was like, "I've got to do this. I've got to sit at the edge of this plane, maybe for two hours."

但我说:「我得做这件事。我得要坐在这架飞机的边缘上, 也许坐个两小时。」

And I did. And I pressed "Publish," and I ran away. (Laughter)

而我做了。我按下「发布」, 然後赶快逃走。(笑声)

And I came back to a viral post and people being like, "Oh my God, I'm so glad somebody finally said this."

我回来看到一篇疯狂转传的贴文, 人们在说:「我的天, 我好高兴终於有人这麽做了。」

And it started a conversation about mental health and self-care,

它带起了交谈, 谈到心理健康和自我照护,

and I was like, "OK. Alright. This thing that I'm doing, I guess, alright, it's doing something."

我说:「好。我在做的这件事,我想, 好,它应该有影响。」

And then so many people have been the domino when they talk about how they've been assaulted by powerful men.

接着,好多人都成了骨牌, 他们谈论到自己如何 被强大的人给攻击。

And it's made millions of women join in and say, "Me Too." So, a shout-out to Tarana Burke for igniting that movement.

结果让数百万女性加入, 说出「我也是」。这是对於塔拉纳柏克 点燃那运动的大喊。

(Applause) People and systems count on our silence to keep us exactly where we are.

(掌声)人和体制要靠我们的沉默,才能 把我们维持在我们现在的位置。

Now, being the domino sometimes comes down to being exactly who you are. So, I've been a shady somebody since I was three.

有时,成为骨牌可以归结成 成为你真正的自己。我从三岁以来,就一直名声不好。

(Laughter) This is me on my third birthday.

(笑声)这是我三岁生日的照片。

But I've been this girl all my life, and I feel like even that's been the domino,

但我一生都一直是这个女孩,我觉得,就连那也是在当骨牌,

because in a world that wants us to walk around as representatives of ourselves,

因为在这个世界,想要我们四处走动 来当我们自身代表的世界中,

being yourself can be a revolutionary act. And in a world that wants us to whisper,

做自己可能就是个革命性的举动。在一个想要我们低语的的世界中,

I choose to yell. (Applause)

我选择呐喊。(掌声)

When it's time to say these hard things, I ask myself three things.

当到了该说出难以说出口的话时,我会问我自己三件事。

One: Did you mean it? Two: Can you defend it?

第一:你是认真的吗?第二:你能为它辩护吗?

Three: Did you say it with love? If the answer is yes to all three,

第三:你是否带着爱而说?如果三个答案都是「是」,

I say it and let the chips fall. That's important.

我就会说出来,不顾後果。那很重要。

That checkpoint with myself always tells me, "Yes, you're supposed to do this."

我自己设的这种检查方式 总是告诉我: 「是的,你该做这件事。」

Telling the truth -- telling thoughtful truths -- should not be a revolutionary act.

说出真相 ──说出考虑周到的真相──不该是种革命性的举动。

Speaking truths to power should not be sacrificial, but they are. But I think if more of us chose to do this for the greater good,

对有权力的人说出真相, 不该是种牺牲,但偏偏就是。但我认为,如果我们更多人能 选择为了大我而这麽做,

we'd be in better spaces than we are right now. Speaking of the greater good,

我们的景况会比现在更好。说到大我,

I think we commit ourselves to telling truths to build bridges to common ground,

我认为,我们要致力去 说出真相来建立桥梁, 来连结共同点,

and bridges that aren't based on truth will collapse. So it is our job,

不是以真相为基础 所搭起的桥梁一定会垮。所以,我们的工作、

it is our obligation, it is our duty to speak truth to power, to be the domino,

我们的义务、我们的责任, 就是要有权者说出真相,要当骨牌,

not just when it's difficult -- especially when it's difficult.

并不只是在很困难时要做──在很困难时更特别一定要做。

Thank you. (Applause)

谢谢。(掌声)

最后编辑于
©著作权归作者所有,转载或内容合作请联系作者
  • 序言:七十年代末,一起剥皮案震惊了整个滨河市,随后出现的几起案子,更是在滨河造成了极大的恐慌,老刑警刘岩,带你破解...
    沈念sama阅读 201,784评论 5 474
  • 序言:滨河连续发生了三起死亡事件,死亡现场离奇诡异,居然都是意外死亡,警方通过查阅死者的电脑和手机,发现死者居然都...
    沈念sama阅读 84,745评论 2 378
  • 文/潘晓璐 我一进店门,熙熙楼的掌柜王于贵愁眉苦脸地迎上来,“玉大人,你说我怎么就摊上这事。” “怎么了?”我有些...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 148,702评论 0 335
  • 文/不坏的土叔 我叫张陵,是天一观的道长。 经常有香客问我,道长,这世上最难降的妖魔是什么? 我笑而不...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 54,229评论 1 272
  • 正文 为了忘掉前任,我火速办了婚礼,结果婚礼上,老公的妹妹穿的比我还像新娘。我一直安慰自己,他们只是感情好,可当我...
    茶点故事阅读 63,245评论 5 363
  • 文/花漫 我一把揭开白布。 她就那样静静地躺着,像睡着了一般。 火红的嫁衣衬着肌肤如雪。 梳的纹丝不乱的头发上,一...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 48,376评论 1 281
  • 那天,我揣着相机与录音,去河边找鬼。 笑死,一个胖子当着我的面吹牛,可吹牛的内容都是我干的。 我是一名探鬼主播,决...
    沈念sama阅读 37,798评论 3 393
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我猛地睁开眼,长吁一口气:“原来是场噩梦啊……” “哼!你这毒妇竟也来了?” 一声冷哼从身侧响起,我...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 36,471评论 0 256
  • 序言:老挝万荣一对情侣失踪,失踪者是张志新(化名)和其女友刘颖,没想到半个月后,有当地人在树林里发现了一具尸体,经...
    沈念sama阅读 40,655评论 1 295
  • 正文 独居荒郊野岭守林人离奇死亡,尸身上长有42处带血的脓包…… 初始之章·张勋 以下内容为张勋视角 年9月15日...
    茶点故事阅读 35,485评论 2 318
  • 正文 我和宋清朗相恋三年,在试婚纱的时候发现自己被绿了。 大学时的朋友给我发了我未婚夫和他白月光在一起吃饭的照片。...
    茶点故事阅读 37,535评论 1 329
  • 序言:一个原本活蹦乱跳的男人离奇死亡,死状恐怖,灵堂内的尸体忽然破棺而出,到底是诈尸还是另有隐情,我是刑警宁泽,带...
    沈念sama阅读 33,235评论 3 318
  • 正文 年R本政府宣布,位于F岛的核电站,受9级特大地震影响,放射性物质发生泄漏。R本人自食恶果不足惜,却给世界环境...
    茶点故事阅读 38,793评论 3 304
  • 文/蒙蒙 一、第九天 我趴在偏房一处隐蔽的房顶上张望。 院中可真热闹,春花似锦、人声如沸。这庄子的主人今日做“春日...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 29,863评论 0 19
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我抬头看了看天上的太阳。三九已至,却和暖如春,着一层夹袄步出监牢的瞬间,已是汗流浃背。 一阵脚步声响...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 31,096评论 1 258
  • 我被黑心中介骗来泰国打工, 没想到刚下飞机就差点儿被人妖公主榨干…… 1. 我叫王不留,地道东北人。 一个月前我还...
    沈念sama阅读 42,654评论 2 348
  • 正文 我出身青楼,却偏偏与公主长得像,于是被迫代替她去往敌国和亲。 传闻我的和亲对象是个残疾皇子,可洞房花烛夜当晚...
    茶点故事阅读 42,233评论 2 341

推荐阅读更多精彩内容