1. not a ...... guy
不是个……人
E.g. One other difference with Mr. Jobs: Mr. Cook is “not a product guy”, his colleagues and friends often say.
另一个与乔布斯不同的方面是:库克不是“产品大师”,他的同事与朋友经常这么说。
2. pay for itself
赚或省下的钱足够支付费用
E.g. As a rule of thumb, it’s dangerous to assume that an automated test will pay for itself this release, so your test must be able to survive a reasonable level of GUI change.
一个基本原则是,认为自动化测试的投资在这个发行版就能收回的想法是危险的,所以在一个合理的GUI变化范围之内测试必须能够继续使用。
3. pop into one’s head
某人的脑中突然冒出某个想法
E.g. Answers to these questions don’t just pop into my head.
我没办法一下子就想出答案。
4. rub my nose in it
揭我的伤疤
E.g. Don’t rub my nose in it in front of my friends.
不要在我朋友面前揭我的伤疤。
5. set an example for somebody
为某人打样
E.g. Note this: You set an example for others as to how you should be treated and appreciated.
要注意:恰恰是你自己,在别人如何对待和评价你的问题上,给别人树立榜样。
6. shake up
整顿
E.g. The government wanted to accelerate the reform of the institutions, to find new ways of shaking up the country.
政府想要加速机构改革,寻找新的整顿国家的方法。
7. stand somebody up
放某人鸽子
E.g. We were to have had dinner together yesterday evening, but he stood me up.
昨晚我们本应该一起用餐,但他放了我鸽子。
8. sugar-coating
粉饰
E.g. People need to know what’s happening, with no sugar-coating and no spinning.
人们需要知道到底发生了什么,而不是掩饰的说辞。
9. take advantage
利用
E.g. How can you take advantage of their support?
你将如何利用他们的支持?
10. That’s not even a thing.
压根不是这样。