【每日英语听力】20180806 TED演讲 The gift of words # Javed Akhtar

Shah Rukh Khan: The speaker you are about to meet is someone who knows and understands the value of words like no one else does.

沙鲁克汗:接下来的讲者, 是一位比任何人都知道 且了解字词价值的人。

In his writing career spanning over four decades, this man has chosen words with beauty and versatility,

在超过四十年的写作职涯中,这位作家使用的优美辞藻,

like a flower springing to life . . . like Mr. Bachchan's memorable punches . . .

就像是生命中绽放的花朵…就像阿米塔布巴强先生 强有力的拳头……

(Laughter) like a best-selling book of Urdu poetry . . .

(笑声)就像最畅销的乌尔都语诗集……

like well . . . what do I say, only Javed Akhtar Sahab.

就像……嗯……该怎麽说,他便是绝无仅有的贾维阿克塔先生。

(Applause) Please welcome onstage, the one and only Javed Akhtar Sahab.

(掌声)请欢迎独一无二的贾维阿克塔沙哈。

(Cheers and applause) Javed Akhtar: Friends, this topic -- the power of words --

(欢呼及掌声)贾维阿克塔:朋友们, 这个主题──字词的力量──

is an interesting one, and one that's very close to my heart. It's strange

很有趣,也很贴近我的心。奇怪的是

how we often overlook things that are so close to us, near us. How many people question, "Why is air transparent?"

我们常会忽略了离我们最近的东西。有多少人问: 「为什麽空气是透明的?」

Or, "Why is water wet?" How many think about what is it that has passed?

或「为什麽水是湿的?」有多少人想过,过去的是什麽?

Time has passed. What came? What went away? How many of us wonder?

时间过去了。 什麽来了?什麽离开了?有多少人会纳闷?

Similarly . . . the words that we speak and hear all day,

同样的,我们每天说出来和听到字词,

how many times have we really thought, "What exactly are these words?" Words are a strange thing.

我们有几次会真正去想: 「这些字词到底是什麽?」字词是很奇怪的东西。

You once saw an animal and decided it's a "cat."

你曾经看到 一只动物,决定牠叫做「猫」。

But cat is a sound. This cat has nothing to do with the animal.

但「猫」是一个声音。「猫」和那只动物没有关系。

But I have decided it's a cat. So a cat it is.

但我已决定它就是只「猫」。所以牠就是猫。

So I gave the sound the identity of this animal. After that I made a semicircle,

我把这只动物的身份赋予这个声音。在那之後,我画了一个半圆形,

a pyramid, cut into half, then a straight line, then another below it, and wrote: "cat."

一个切一半的金字塔,接著畫一條直線,下面再一條, 寫出了「CAT(貓)」。

In these criss-crossed lines, I filled a sound and into that sound, a meaning.

在这些交错的线中, 我填入了一个声音, 在那声音中,填入了意义。

Now like with this cat, even with love, anger, a thought,

就像这个猫的例子,甚至爱、愤怒、念头、

an idea, pain, suffering, happiness, surprise, everything has been linked with a sound.

想法、痛苦、苦难、快乐、惊讶、所有事物都和一个声音连结起来。

And then sounds were fit into some criss-crossed lines that we call a script.

这些声音再配上一些交错的线条, 就是我们所谓的字。

So three things that had nothing in common were joined by us to create a word.

三样完全没共通性的东西, 被我们结合起来,创造出字词。

A sound that is actually gibberish has been added onto it. And the lines, crooked lines, they formed a word.

一个没有意义的声音被加上去,还有线条,弯曲的线条, 它们形成了字词。

Incredible! And I have come to believe that with time, these words have become like human beings.

了不起!我相信,随着时间, 这些字词已经变得像人类一样。

A man is known by the company he keeps. Similarly, with words,

要看一个人,就看他交的朋友。字词也是一样的,

what is the company it has been keeping? What are the other words being used with it?

它的朋友是什麽?和它一起使用的其他字词是什麽?

For an average noun or an average verb, an average mind can quickly create reference.

针对一个一般的名词, 或一般的动词,只要是一般人, 都可以快速创造出关联。

Where did they hear it? See it? What does it remind them of?

在哪里听过它?见过它?它让人想起了什麽?

What is its connection? When was it last used in conversation? What has been my experience with it?

它的连结是什麽? 上次在对话中用到它是何时?我有什麽和它相关的经验?

A host of memories appear when you hear a word you remember. And a good writer or orator is one

当你听到你记得的字词时, 许多记忆会浮现。一个好的作家或演说家,

who knows that when he uses a certain word, an average mind will associate it with a certain reference,

就是知道何时该用 某个特定字词的人,一般人会把它和某个 特定的关系连结起来,

specific memories will be evoked. Then he can create a world around a word.

会唤起特定的记忆。接着他就可以围绕着 这个字词来创造一个世界。

What is the power of a word? Be it a mother's lullaby,

字词的力量是什麽?它是母亲的催眠曲、

a politician's speech, love letters from your beloved,

政治家的演说、你的爱人给你的情书、

or a complaint against someone, a protest call . . .

或是对某人的抱怨、抗议的呼唤。

anger, sadness, happiness, surprise, belonging, alienation anything in the world,

愤怒、悲伤、快乐、惊讶、归属、疏远、 世界上的任何事物,

any feeling in the world, any emotion, any reaction, until it is expressed in a word,

世界上的任何感受、 任何情绪、任何反应,在它被用字词表述出来之後,

it will not have any meaning for you, forget getting across to anyone else.

才会对你产生意义,才有可能让别人了解。

Words are not thoughts, just like bricks are not homes.

字词不是思想,就像砖头不是家。

But houses are made with bricks. If you have less bricks, you will make a small house.

但房子是用砖头建成的。如果砖头不多,建的房子就小。

The more words you have, the clearer your thoughts,

你用越多字词,思想就会越清澈,

and the more clearly you can convey them. Nowadays I often hear, especially from young ones,

也就更能清楚地传递这些思想。现在,我常常听到有人, 特别是年轻人,会说:

"You know what I mean?" No, I don't know what you mean.

「你懂我的意思吗?」不,我不懂你的意思。

(Laughter) "You know what I mean," is running out of words.

(笑声)「你懂我的意思吗」 就是没有字词可以用了。

Everything is now moving fast so communication has to be fast as well.

现代一切的步调都很快, 所以沟通也得要很快速。

But the tragedy is that we have attained this speed at the cost of depth of words.

但不幸的是 我们牺牲文字的深度换来这速度。

We want to speak faster, so everything is faster,

我们想要说快一点,这样一切才会快一点,

so the language is also faster, hence communication is faster. But this speed has affected depth.

所以语言也要快一点, 因此沟通就会快一点。但这速度已经影响了深度。

Which means that forget about other people, just look at yourself.

也就是说,别管其他的人,只要看看你自己。

You are not being able to articulate your own feelings, thoughts or emotions in a detailed manner or clearly.

你没有办法明确有力地 表达自己的感受、思想、或情绪,无法细腻或清楚表达。

And these words, as long as words exist, they aren't there just for a meaning.

只要字词还存在,这些字词就不只是一个意义而已。

They are also a conveyer belt of language, words.

它们也是语言、 文字的输送带。

They reflect your culture, your traditions, your inheritance,

它们反映出你的文化、你的传统、你的传承、

your cultural wealth accumulated over generations, all of that is carried forward with words.

你数世代以来累积的文化资产, 所有这些都要靠字词来发扬。

If you cut a man off from some words, you cut him off from a culture, a history. This is exactly what is happening with us today.

如果你让一个人失去了一些字词, 就是让他失去了文化、历史。这就是现今我们遇到的状况。

So language is a very powerful thing. Words are extremely powerful.

所以,语言是非常强大的。字词是极强大的。

But by themselves, they are neither good nor bad. If we start loving words

但它们自己本身并没有好坏之分。如果我们开始热爱字词,

and understand their power, we would realize

并了解它们的力量,我们就会了解到

that everything that happens in the world is because of words. Or there would be nothing between us and the rest of the creatures,

世界上发生的一切都是因为字词。否则,在我们和其他生物、动物之间,

the rest of the animals, although we too are animals. The only difference is that we can pass on, through our words,

就没有区别了,尽管我们也是动物。唯一的差别是我们能够 透过我们的字词,

our experience, our learning and our knowledge to the next generation. So we don't only live on instinct

把我们的经验、学习、知识, 传给下一代。我们不只靠直觉过活,

but our slowly accumulated experience and knowledge over generations is passed on to the next.

还靠我们代代相传, 慢慢累积而来的经验与知识传承。

Through what? Through words. And if we didn't have these words

透过什麽传递?字词。如果我们没有这些字词,

our advantage is gradually over other species would diminish over time.

我们比其他物种优势之处 就会渐渐随着时间递减。

We advanced only because we have language. And if we didn't have that

我们会进步,只因为我们有语言。如果没有,

we wouldn't be here. We would be right where we started.

我们就不会在这里。我们就会在我们的起始点。

So what does language mean? Words!

所以,语言意味什麽?字词!

So learn to respect words. Love them.

所以,要学会尊敬字词。要爱它们。

Befriend them. Listen to them attentively.

和它们交朋友。留心倾听它们。

And speak attentively. Thank you!

且要细心说话。谢谢。

(Applause) SRK: Thanks a lot, Javed Sahab,

(掌声)沙鲁克汗:非常谢谢,贾维先生。

for coming here today and sharing such wonderful things with us.

谢谢您来这里 与我们分享这麽美好的内容。

I have known Javed Sahab since I came to Mumbai about 25 years ago. I was really young then.

二十五年前我来孟买时 就认识了贾维先生。当时我非常年轻。

JA: Yes. You are still very young, Sir. (Laughter)

贾维:你仍然非常年轻。(笑声)

SRK: But I have got a lot of my education, my ideologies and many more things from Javed Sahab.

沙鲁克汗:但我许多的教育、 思想意识和其他东西,都是从贾维先生身上学来的。

I'll share a small incident. He got angry with us

我来分享一个小故事。 他对我们很生气,

while working on a film. He sometimes gets angry

当时在拍片。 他有时会生气是因为

when unlettered people like us give him suggestions that maybe we could use this word or that instead.

像我们这种未受教育的人给他建议,建议把这个字换成那个字。

So our film was called "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai."

我們的片名是 「Kuch Kuch Hota Hai」。(台湾译名:爱情的证明/怦然心动) (欢呼)

(Cheers) And he did not like the title at all.

他完全不喜欢那个片名。有次他对我们这些孩子非常生气,

So once when he was really mad at us kids, who are like his kids even now,

即使现在我们也还像他的孩子,他反驳:

he retorted: What do I do, oh, I feel something strange

「此刻我的心不是醒着也不是歇着。 我该怎麽做?喔! 我有种奇怪的感觉。

Is that what you want? In fact the entire song, all the words,

那就是你想要的吗?」事实上,这整首歌,所有的字词,

were thrown at us by Javed Sahab in anger. And that song went on to become extremely popular.

都是贾维先生在盛怒中丢给我们的。那首歌接着变得非常热门。

So even when Javed Sahab throws out words in anger, they turn into golden words.

所以,即使是贾维先生 盛怒时丢给我们的字词,也会转为黄金字词。

That's his gift. (Cheers)

那是他的天赋。(欢呼)

JA: Well, the incident that Shah Rukh Sahab shared is indeed true. So on hearing this title,

贾维:沙鲁克汗分享的 这件事的确是真的。当我听到片名,

"'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai," I was shocked.

我很震惊。

I felt it wasn't dignified enough. (Laughter)

我觉得它不够有品味。(笑声)

Though to be honest, I regret leaving such a super hit film over its title.

不过,老实说,我很後悔因为这片名 而退出这部超棒的电影。

So I left the film. Later I also felt a little embarrassed,

我离开了这部片。之後,我也觉得有点不好意思,

and he too felt bad. So we decided to let bygones be bygones and work on some other film.

他也不好过。所以我们决定既往不咎, 继续合作其他的电影。

Hence, the film "Kal Ho Naa Ho."

因此有了這部:「Kal Ho Naa Ho」 (台灣譯名:愛,沒有明天)我告诉他,其他一切都没问题,

I told him that everything else is still fine but I owe you two kuchs.

但我欠你兩個「kuch」。兩個「kuch」。 (笑聲)(片名前兩字)

Two kuchs. (Laughter)

所以我會寫一首歌, 把兩個 kuch 還給你。

So I'll write a song and return these two to you. I wrote a song specially for this reason called

我为此特别写了一首歌,歌名是 (欢呼和掌声)

"Kuch to hua hai, kuch ho gaya hai." (Cheers and applause)

他還了他的兩個 kuch。(掌声)

and he returned his two. (Applause)

各位先生女士,请以热烈掌声 谢谢贾维阿克塔先生。(掌声)

Ladies and gentlemen, big round of applause for Javed Akhtar Sahab. (Applause)

©著作权归作者所有,转载或内容合作请联系作者
  • 序言:七十年代末,一起剥皮案震惊了整个滨河市,随后出现的几起案子,更是在滨河造成了极大的恐慌,老刑警刘岩,带你破解...
    沈念sama阅读 201,924评论 5 474
  • 序言:滨河连续发生了三起死亡事件,死亡现场离奇诡异,居然都是意外死亡,警方通过查阅死者的电脑和手机,发现死者居然都...
    沈念sama阅读 84,781评论 2 378
  • 文/潘晓璐 我一进店门,熙熙楼的掌柜王于贵愁眉苦脸地迎上来,“玉大人,你说我怎么就摊上这事。” “怎么了?”我有些...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 148,813评论 0 335
  • 文/不坏的土叔 我叫张陵,是天一观的道长。 经常有香客问我,道长,这世上最难降的妖魔是什么? 我笑而不...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 54,264评论 1 272
  • 正文 为了忘掉前任,我火速办了婚礼,结果婚礼上,老公的妹妹穿的比我还像新娘。我一直安慰自己,他们只是感情好,可当我...
    茶点故事阅读 63,273评论 5 363
  • 文/花漫 我一把揭开白布。 她就那样静静地躺着,像睡着了一般。 火红的嫁衣衬着肌肤如雪。 梳的纹丝不乱的头发上,一...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 48,383评论 1 281
  • 那天,我揣着相机与录音,去河边找鬼。 笑死,一个胖子当着我的面吹牛,可吹牛的内容都是我干的。 我是一名探鬼主播,决...
    沈念sama阅读 37,800评论 3 393
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我猛地睁开眼,长吁一口气:“原来是场噩梦啊……” “哼!你这毒妇竟也来了?” 一声冷哼从身侧响起,我...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 36,482评论 0 256
  • 序言:老挝万荣一对情侣失踪,失踪者是张志新(化名)和其女友刘颖,没想到半个月后,有当地人在树林里发现了一具尸体,经...
    沈念sama阅读 40,673评论 1 295
  • 正文 独居荒郊野岭守林人离奇死亡,尸身上长有42处带血的脓包…… 初始之章·张勋 以下内容为张勋视角 年9月15日...
    茶点故事阅读 35,497评论 2 318
  • 正文 我和宋清朗相恋三年,在试婚纱的时候发现自己被绿了。 大学时的朋友给我发了我未婚夫和他白月光在一起吃饭的照片。...
    茶点故事阅读 37,545评论 1 329
  • 序言:一个原本活蹦乱跳的男人离奇死亡,死状恐怖,灵堂内的尸体忽然破棺而出,到底是诈尸还是另有隐情,我是刑警宁泽,带...
    沈念sama阅读 33,240评论 4 318
  • 正文 年R本政府宣布,位于F岛的核电站,受9级特大地震影响,放射性物质发生泄漏。R本人自食恶果不足惜,却给世界环境...
    茶点故事阅读 38,802评论 3 304
  • 文/蒙蒙 一、第九天 我趴在偏房一处隐蔽的房顶上张望。 院中可真热闹,春花似锦、人声如沸。这庄子的主人今日做“春日...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 29,866评论 0 19
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我抬头看了看天上的太阳。三九已至,却和暖如春,着一层夹袄步出监牢的瞬间,已是汗流浃背。 一阵脚步声响...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 31,101评论 1 258
  • 我被黑心中介骗来泰国打工, 没想到刚下飞机就差点儿被人妖公主榨干…… 1. 我叫王不留,地道东北人。 一个月前我还...
    沈念sama阅读 42,673评论 2 348
  • 正文 我出身青楼,却偏偏与公主长得像,于是被迫代替她去往敌国和亲。 传闻我的和亲对象是个残疾皇子,可洞房花烛夜当晚...
    茶点故事阅读 42,245评论 2 341

推荐阅读更多精彩内容

  • 我们生活在这个世界, 每天都会遇到不同的人,不同的事。年复一年,我们都会成长,不论是好是坏,我们一直在生命的缝隙里...
    眼瞳侧脸阅读 315评论 0 0
  • -昨天很順著能量從白世界橋進入藍手,發現對等kin又是超頻藍鷹呢。我這樣算是學瑪雅到某個境界了吧,真是學霸真厲害!...
    dearbear佳麗阅读 168评论 0 0
  • 2016年的寒假已经正式开始啦,漫漫假期除了窝在被窝里刷手机还能干嘛?Seed君收集整理了9大学霸最爱去的网站,用...
    Seed精选阅读 317评论 0 0
  • 这段时间的Eos这只调皮的白马,让人刚刚享受了一小段时间的翻倍,还没来得及高兴多久,就掉转头往山下冲来,还没明白过...
    丁红英阅读 164评论 0 0
  • 写《茶花女》的小仲马说:“赢得一颗没有谈过恋爱的心,就等于进入一座没有设防的城市。”很不幸,我今年20岁,这颗心,...
    江厘阅读 1,119评论 7 7