跟着卷福学英语(四十六)

前景提要:经过一番走访调查,似乎巨型猎犬是真的在恶魔谷里徘徊,卷福会相信它的真实存在吗?

Man D:Pass, please. Thank you.请出示通行证。谢谢。

W:You've got ID for Baskerville?! How?你有巴斯克维尔的证件?怎么搞到的?

S:It's not specific to this place. It's my brother's. Access all areas. I, um, ahem, acquired it ages ago. Just in case.不是这地方专有的,我哥哥的证件。哪里都能进。我...很久前拿到的,以防万一。

W:Brilliant.这下好了。

S:What's the matter?怎么了?

W:We'll getcaught.我们会被抓。

S:We won't! Well, not yet.不会,现在还不会。

W:Caught in five minutes. "Hi, we thought we'd have a wander around your top secret weapons base. Really? Great. Come in, kettle's boiled." That's if we don't get shot.五分钟后就会,"你好,我们就来看看你们定级秘密武器基地。真的?太好了。进来。上茶。"如果没被爆头的话。

Man D:Clear. Thanks very much.好了,非常感谢。

S:Thank you.谢谢。

Man D:Straight through, sir.一直朝前开,长官。

S:Mycroft's name literally opens doors. I've told you, he practically is the British Government. I reckon we've got about 20 minutes before they realise something's wrong.麦克罗夫特的名字真的是敲门砖,早告诉你了,他基本就是英国政府,大概得20分钟,他们才会发现不对。

Man E:What is it? Are we in trouble?怎么了,我们惹麻烦了?

S:Are we in trouble, sir.请叫我长官。

Man E:Yes, sir. Sorry, sir.是的长官抱歉长官

S:You were expecting us?你知道我们要来?

Man E:Your ID showed up straight away, Mr Holmes. Corporal Lyons, security. Is there something wrong, sir?你的通行证立刻上报了,福尔摩斯先生。莱昂丝下士,安保部,有问题吗,长官?

S:I hope not, Corporal, I hope not.我希望没有,下士。

Man E:We don't get inspected here. It just doesn't happen.我们这里一般不会受到视察。

W:Ever heard of a spot check? Captain John Watson, Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers.有听说过突击检查吗?约翰·华生上尉,诺桑伯兰第五明火枪团。

Man E:Sir.长官。

Man E:Major Barrymore won't be pleased, sir. He'll want to see you both.巴里莫尔少校会生气的,长官。他会想和二位见面。

W:I'm afraid we won't have time. We need the full tour. Right away. Carry on.That's an order, Corporal.恐怕没时间,得巡视整个基地。马上开始吧,这是命令,下士。

Man E:Yes, sir.是,长官。


S:Nice touch.干得好。

W:Haven't pulled rank in ages.几百年没拿军衔来压人了。

S:Enjoy it?享受么?

W:Oh, yeah.爽死了。

S:How many animals do you keep down here?你们这儿有多少动物?

Man E:Lots, sir.很多长官

S:Any ever escape?有逃跑的么?

Man E:They'd have to know how to use that lift, sir. We're not breeding them that clever.除非会用那部电梯才行,长官,我们还没培育出那么聪明的。

S:Unless they have help.除非有人帮忙。

Dr Frankland:Ah, and you are?啊,你们是? 

Man E:It's all right, DrFrankland, I'm just showing these gentlemen around.没关系,弗兰克兰博士,我只是带这两位参观一下。

Dr Frankland:Ah, new faces, how nice. Careful you don't get stuck here, though, I only came to fix a tap.新面孔,真好,当心别困在这里了我当年只是来修龙头的。

W:How far down does that lift go?那个电梯能下到多深?

Man E:Quite a way, sir.挺深的,长官。

W:Hm-mm. And what's down there?嗯,下面是什么?

Man E:Well, we have to keep the bins somewhere, sir.垃圾桶总得找个地方放啊,长官。

Man E:This way please, gentlemen.先生们这边请。

W:So what exactly is it that you do here?那么你们在这具体做什么呢?

Man E:I thought you'd know, sir, this being an inspection.我以为你知道,长官,你不是来视察的吗?

W:Well, I'm not an expert, am I?唉,谁叫我不是专家呢?

Man E:Everything from stem cell research to trying to cure the common cold, sir.应有尽有,从干细胞研究,到普通感冒治疗,长官。

W:But mostly weaponry?不过主要是武器?

Man E:Of one sort or another, yes.多少有一些吧。

W:Biological, chemical?生化武器?

Man E:One war ends, another begins, sir. New enemies to fight. We have to be prepared.硝烟未散,风云又起,长官。敌人更新换代,有备才能无患。

Stapleton:OK, Michael, let's try Harlow 3 next time.好了,迈克尔,下次换H3。

Man E:Dr Stapleton...斯坦佩顿博士…

S:Stapleton?斯坦佩顿?

Stapleton:Yes? Who's this?是我,这位是?

Man E:Priority ultra, ma'am, orders from on high. An inspection.最高优先级,长官,上面安排的视察。

Stapleton:Really?是吗? We are to be accorded every courtesy, Dr Stapleton. What's your role at Baskerville?请给予我们应有的尊重,斯坦佩顿博士。您在巴斯克维尔负责什么工作?

W:Accorded every courtesy, isn't that the idea?言无不尽,对吧?

Stapleton:I'm not free to say. Official secrets.恐怕我不能自由透露,这是国家机密。

S:Oh, you most certainly are free, and I suggest you remain that way.哦你现在自由的很,千万要珍惜自由啊。

Stapleton:I have a lot of fingers in a lot of pies. I like to mix things up. Genes, mostly. Now and again, actual fingers.我在这里事事都要插一指头,我喜欢搅合东西,平常也就合成基因,有时候真的要用上手指头。

S:Stapleton! I knew I knew your name.斯坦佩顿,我就觉得这名字耳熟。

Stapleton:I doubt it.不会吧。

S:People say there's no such thing. Dull lives they must lead.人们都说世上没有巧合,可见他们活的多无趣啊。

Stapleton:Have you been talking to my daughter?你和我女儿谈过?

S:Why did Bluebell have to die, Dr Stapleton?为什么要杀死铃兰,博士?

W:The rabbit?那只兔子?

S:Disappeared from inside a locked hutch, which was always suggestive.锁在笼子里消失了,让人起疑。

W:The rabbit?兔子?

S:Clearly an inside job.显然是自己人干的。

Stapleton:Oh, you reckon?哦,你这么觉得?

S:Why? Because it glowed in the dark.为什么?因为它在黑暗中发光?

Stapleton:I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Who are you?我完全不知道你在说什么,你到底是谁?

S:We've seen enough for now. Thank you so much.我们看够了,多谢你。

Man E:That's it?这就完了?

S:That's it. It's this way, isn't it?这就完了,从这边出对吗?

Stapleton:Just a minute!请留步。

W:Did we just break into a military base to investigate a rabbit?我们这是闯进军事基地来查一只兔子?

S:Ha! 23 minutes. Mycroft's getting slow.哈,23分钟,麦克罗夫特越来越慢了。

Dr Frankland:Hello, again.你好又见面了

Man E:Er, Major...少校...

Barrymore:This is bloody outrageous! Why wasn't I told?!真是岂有此理,怎么没人向我汇报?

W:Major Barrymore, is it? Yes, well, good. Very good, we're very impressed. Aren't we, Mr Holmes?巴里莫尔少校对吗?嗯,很不错。真让我们赞不绝口对吧福尔摩斯先生?

S:Hugely.太出色了

Barrymore:The point of Baskerville was to eliminate bureaucratic nonsense!设立巴斯克维尔基地,就为避开这套繁文缛节。

S:Sorry, Major.抱歉,少校。

Barrymore:Inspections! Can't remain unmonitored for ever, goodness knows what you'd get up to. Keep walking.视察。总不能永远都没人监视吧,天晓得你们在搞什么呢,继续走。

Man E:Sir! ID unauthorised, sir. What? I've just had the call.长官,身份未授权,长官,什么?我刚接到一个电话。

Barrymore:Is that right? Who are you?是吗?你是谁?

W:Look, there's obviously been some kind of mistake.好了,显然什么地方出了误会。

Barrymore:Clearly not, Mycroft Holmes.绝对没有麦克罗夫特·福尔摩斯。

W:Computer error. It'll all have to go in the report.电脑故障,少校,得在报告上记一笔了。

Barrymore:What the hell's going on?到底在搞什么?

Dr Frankland:It's all right, Major, I know who these gentlemen are.没事,少校,我认识这两位先生。

Barrymore:You do?你认识?

Dr Frankland:Yeah, I'm getting a little slow on faces, but Mr Holmes here isn't someone I expected to show up in this place.对啊,都怪我脸盲了,可我没料到福尔摩斯先生会在这里出现。

S:Oh, well...好吧。

Dr Frankland:Good to see you again, Mycroft. I had the honour of meeting Mr Holmes at the WHO conference in... Brussels, was it?很高兴再见到你,麦考夫。我有幸在世界卫生组织会议上,见过福尔摩斯先生在...布鲁塞尔对吗?

S:Vienna.维也纳

Dr Frankland:Vienna, that's it. This is Mr Mycroft Holmes, Major. There's obviously been a mistake.维也纳,没错。这位是麦克罗夫特·福尔摩斯先生,少校,显然出了点误会。

Barrymore:On your head be it, Dr Frankland.有问题唯你是问,弗兰克兰博士。

Dr Frankland:I'll show them out, Corporal.我来送客。

Man E:Very well, sir.好的,长官。

S:Thank you.谢谢。

Dr Frankland:This is about Henry Knight, isn't it? I thought so. I knew he wanted help, but I didn't realise he was going to contact Sherlock Holmes! Oh, don't worry, I know who you really are. I'm never off your website. I thought you'd be wearing the hat.是亨利·奈特的事,对吗?我猜到就是,我知道他想帮忙,可没想到他会去找夏洛克·福尔摩斯,别紧张,我知道你们是谁,网站我整天在刷呢,还以为你会戴那顶帽子。

S:That wasn't my hat.那不是我的帽子。

Dr Frankland:I love the blog, too, Dr Watson.我也喜欢你的博客,华生医生。

W:Oh, cheers.哦,谢啦,

Dr Frankland:The pink thing. And that one about the aluminium crutch.粉色那篇,还有铝拐杖的故事。

S:Yes. You know Henry Knight?对你认识亨利·奈特?

Dr Frankland:Well, I knew his dad better. He had all sorts of mad theories about this place. Still, he was a good friend. Listen, I can't really talk now. Here's my cell number. If I can help with Henry, give me a call.嗯,跟他爸比较熟,他总对这里疑神疑鬼,发表各种奇谈怪论,不过我们一直是好朋友,听着,这不是说话的时候,留我的手机号,如果能帮上亨利,尽管给我打电话。

S:I never did ask, Dr Frankland, what exactly is it that you do here?我还没问,弗兰克兰博士你在这里具体做什么?

Dr Frankland:Ah, Mr Holmes, I would love to tell you, but then, of course, I'd have to kill you.啊福尔摩斯先生,我很乐意告诉你,不过然后呢,我就得杀人灭口了。

S:That would be tremendously ambitious of you.大言不惭啊。

S:Tell me about Dr Stapleton.给我讲讲斯塔佩顿博士。

Dr Frankland:I never speak ill of a colleague.我从不说同事的坏话。

S:But you'd speak well of one, which you're clearly omitting to do.I'll be in touch.但是你也不想说他们的好话。回头再联系。

Dr Frankland:Any time.随时恭候。

W:So?所以呢?

S:So?怎样?

W:What was all thatabout the rabbit? Oh, please, can we not do this, this time?兔子到底怎么回事?拜托,别再来这套了好不好?

S:Do what?哪套?

W:You being all mysterious with your... cheekbones, and turning your coat collar up so you look cool.你那副高深莫测的...颧骨,还把大衣领子竖起来扮酷。

S:I don't do that.我才没有。

W:Yeah, you do.我说有就有。

W:So, the email from Kirsty. The missing luminous rabbit.所以,科斯蒂的邮件,失踪的发光兔子

S:Kirsty Stapleton, whose mother specialises in genetic manipulation.科斯蒂·斯坦佩顿,母亲是基因工程专家。

W:She made her daughter's rabbit glow in the dark?是她让女儿的兔子变成夜光的?

S:Probably a fluorescent gene. Removed and spliced into the specimen. Simple enough, these days.大概是荧光基因,移植到样本身上如今操作起来很简单了。

W:So?所以呢?

S:So we know that Dr Stapleton performs secret genetic experiments on animals. The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?由此可知,斯坦佩顿博士在用动物做秘密基因实验。问题是她有没有用过比兔子更致命的生物?

W:To be fair, that is quite a wide field.老实说,这范围也太大了。

最后编辑于
©著作权归作者所有,转载或内容合作请联系作者
  • 序言:七十年代末,一起剥皮案震惊了整个滨河市,随后出现的几起案子,更是在滨河造成了极大的恐慌,老刑警刘岩,带你破解...
    沈念sama阅读 203,456评论 5 477
  • 序言:滨河连续发生了三起死亡事件,死亡现场离奇诡异,居然都是意外死亡,警方通过查阅死者的电脑和手机,发现死者居然都...
    沈念sama阅读 85,370评论 2 381
  • 文/潘晓璐 我一进店门,熙熙楼的掌柜王于贵愁眉苦脸地迎上来,“玉大人,你说我怎么就摊上这事。” “怎么了?”我有些...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 150,337评论 0 337
  • 文/不坏的土叔 我叫张陵,是天一观的道长。 经常有香客问我,道长,这世上最难降的妖魔是什么? 我笑而不...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 54,583评论 1 273
  • 正文 为了忘掉前任,我火速办了婚礼,结果婚礼上,老公的妹妹穿的比我还像新娘。我一直安慰自己,他们只是感情好,可当我...
    茶点故事阅读 63,596评论 5 365
  • 文/花漫 我一把揭开白布。 她就那样静静地躺着,像睡着了一般。 火红的嫁衣衬着肌肤如雪。 梳的纹丝不乱的头发上,一...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 48,572评论 1 281
  • 那天,我揣着相机与录音,去河边找鬼。 笑死,一个胖子当着我的面吹牛,可吹牛的内容都是我干的。 我是一名探鬼主播,决...
    沈念sama阅读 37,936评论 3 395
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我猛地睁开眼,长吁一口气:“原来是场噩梦啊……” “哼!你这毒妇竟也来了?” 一声冷哼从身侧响起,我...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 36,595评论 0 258
  • 序言:老挝万荣一对情侣失踪,失踪者是张志新(化名)和其女友刘颖,没想到半个月后,有当地人在树林里发现了一具尸体,经...
    沈念sama阅读 40,850评论 1 297
  • 正文 独居荒郊野岭守林人离奇死亡,尸身上长有42处带血的脓包…… 初始之章·张勋 以下内容为张勋视角 年9月15日...
    茶点故事阅读 35,601评论 2 321
  • 正文 我和宋清朗相恋三年,在试婚纱的时候发现自己被绿了。 大学时的朋友给我发了我未婚夫和他白月光在一起吃饭的照片。...
    茶点故事阅读 37,685评论 1 329
  • 序言:一个原本活蹦乱跳的男人离奇死亡,死状恐怖,灵堂内的尸体忽然破棺而出,到底是诈尸还是另有隐情,我是刑警宁泽,带...
    沈念sama阅读 33,371评论 4 318
  • 正文 年R本政府宣布,位于F岛的核电站,受9级特大地震影响,放射性物质发生泄漏。R本人自食恶果不足惜,却给世界环境...
    茶点故事阅读 38,951评论 3 307
  • 文/蒙蒙 一、第九天 我趴在偏房一处隐蔽的房顶上张望。 院中可真热闹,春花似锦、人声如沸。这庄子的主人今日做“春日...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 29,934评论 0 19
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我抬头看了看天上的太阳。三九已至,却和暖如春,着一层夹袄步出监牢的瞬间,已是汗流浃背。 一阵脚步声响...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 31,167评论 1 259
  • 我被黑心中介骗来泰国打工, 没想到刚下飞机就差点儿被人妖公主榨干…… 1. 我叫王不留,地道东北人。 一个月前我还...
    沈念sama阅读 43,636评论 2 349
  • 正文 我出身青楼,却偏偏与公主长得像,于是被迫代替她去往敌国和亲。 传闻我的和亲对象是个残疾皇子,可洞房花烛夜当晚...
    茶点故事阅读 42,411评论 2 342

推荐阅读更多精彩内容